Miami Breast Lift With Augmentation
Breast Lift Surgery With Augmentation
Dr. Sam Gershenbaum is an award-winning board certified plastic and reconstructive surgeon in Miami, FL., who frequently performs breast augmentations with a lift. When these procedures are performed together, they provide a woman with breasts that are proportional, more perky and larger than they were prior to surgery.
Reasons Women Choose to Have a Breast Augmentation with a Lift
A woman may choose to have plastic surgery to address noticeable variations and undesirable changes in the size, and shape of her breasts. A breast lift can address pendulous breasts that sag and cause the nipples to rest below the breast crease. During an augmentation, Dr. Gershenbaum increases the size of the patient’s breasts with implants. During this procedure, he can also reduce the size of an enlarged areola (the dark skin that surrounds the nipple).
What Causes Changes in the Breasts?
Numerous factors affect the characteristics of the breasts.
These factors include:
- Weight fluctuations
- The aging process
Who Should Consider a Breast Augmentation with a Lift?
Women in Miami who are not satisfied with the way their breasts look should consider scheduling an initial consultation with Dr. Gershenbaum to discuss the benefits of a breast lift with an augmentation.
These women may:
- Feel self-conscious when wearing a swimsuit or form-fitting top.
- Be unhappy with the size of their breasts, wishing they were larger.
- Notice that their breasts are not comparable in size, with one breast significantly smaller than the other.
- Have difficulty finding one-piece clothing items that fit their hips and their bust line well.
- Notice that the shape, firmness and size of their breasts have changed following weight loss, pregnancy and/or breastfeeding.
Who is a Good Candidate for a Breast Augmentation with a Lift?
Good candidates for a breast augmentation with a lift in Miami are women who:
- Are in good physical health.
- Would like their breasts to be positioned higher on the chest.
- Are nonsmokers.
- Desire breasts that are larger and appear perkier.
- Have realistic expectations as to what these procedures can accomplish.
- Want to have these procedures for themselves, not as a means to please someone else.
An Initial Consultation for a Breast Augmentation with a Lift in Miami
When a patient arrives at Dr. G Cosmetic Surgery for her initial consultation, she should be prepared to discuss her medical history.
Dr. G will want to know about:
- Her current medications, vitamins and supplements.
- Her drug and/or latex allergies, if applicable.
- Any surgical procedures and/or medical treatments the patient has received.
- Her medical conditions (i.e., diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.).
- Her Family’s medical history, especially as it relates to breast cancer.
- The results of her previous mammograms.
- Her lifestyle choices (i.e., whether she smokes, drinks alcoholic beverages or uses recreational drugs).
For the safety of the patient and to ensure optimal results, providing Dr. G with an accurate, and complete medical history is crucial. Women who plan to become pregnant or lose a significant amount of weight should wait to have an augmentation with a lift.
Dr. G will ask the patient what she would like him to accomplish during her breast lift with an augmentation. He will want to know how she would like her breasts to look and how she would like her breasts to feel. It is essential that patients are candid with Dr. G during their initial consultation.
During the initial consultation, Dr. Gershenbaum will want to examine the patient’s breasts. He will take several things into consideration as he determines whether the patient will benefit from a breast lift with an augmentation.
Dr. G will consider:
- The location of the patient’s nipples and areolas.
- The quality of the patient’s skin.
- The size and shape of the patient’s breasts.
At this time, Dr. G may decide to take pictures of the breasts to place in the patient’s file. Dr. Gershenbaum may use these photos for reference while he creates the patient’s surgical plan. Furthermore, these photos are frequently used for comparison purposes following surgery.
If Dr. Gershenbaum determines that the patient is a good candidate for a breast augmentation with a lift, she needs to work with Dr. G to address specific aspects of her upcoming augmentation and lift.
Types of Breast Implants Available with Dr. G in Miami
Dr. Gershenbaum offers his patients form-stable silicone (Gummy Bear Implants) and saline breast implants. Saline implants are filled after they are inserted; whereas, Gummy Bear Implants are already formed when they are inserted.
Saline breast implants consist of a silicone shell that, after insertion, is filled with sterile saltwater. Gummy Bear Implants also have an outer shell made of silicone; however, this shell is pre-filled with form-stable silicone. If cut in half, the gel inside of these implants remains intact, just as would happen with an actual gummy bear; hence, the nickname. Gummy Bear Implants are available in a variety of shapes and sizes.
Implant Placement Options
A breast implant can be placed above the pectoral muscle (subglandular) or behind the pectoral muscle (submuscular). In general, Dr. Gershenbaum prefers to place breast implants behind the pectoral muscle.
Incision Techniques Used During an Augmentation with a Lift
When performing a breast augmentation with a lift, Dr. G may use a “Keyhole,” “Anchor,” “Lollipop” or “Benelli” incision technique. Prior to the patient’s procedure, Dr. Gershenbaum will discuss which incision technique he believes will provide the patient with the best outcome possible.
Preparing for a Breast Lift with an Augmentation at Dr. G Cosmetic Surgery in Miami
- Prior to performing a surgical procedure on a woman’s breasts, Dr. Gershenbaum usually asks his patients to have a baseline mammogram performed. A couple months after breast surgery, Dr. G may ask the patient to have another mammogram. The results of these mammograms are compared to the patient’s future mammograms. Having these mammograms to reference allows Dr. Gershenbaum and the patient’s gynecologist to determine if any changes have occurred in the breast tissue.
- A patient who smokes will need to discontinue smoking for a certain length of time before and after her breast augmentation with a lift.
- Certain medications are known to cause an increase in bleeding; therefore, they will need to be discontinued prior to surgery. These medications include nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs): Dr. G and his staff will provide patients with information related to the medications they need to avoid before and after their breast augmentation with a lift.
Creating an At-Home Recovery Area
Prior to an augmentation with a lift, women should create themselves a recovery area at home. Since women need to avoid lying flat following their procedure, many women find it useful to create their recovery area in their living room, especially if they have a recliner. In addition, they can place the items they need within reach on TV trays.
Patients should set out several sets of clothes that are easy to put on and take off: Tops that do not need to be lifted over the head and pants, shorts or skirts that are easy to get on and off.
Items to keep within reach include:
- Remote controls and extra batteries
- Cell phone and the cell phone charger
- Healthy snacks (i.e., granola bars, fruit snacks, fresh fruits and vegetables, etc.)
- A cooler filled with ice packs, crushed ice for drinks, cold snacks and beverages
- Disposable cups, bowls and silverware
- Lip balm
- Facial tissue
- 2 garbage cans – 1 for garbage and the other in case of nausea
- Extra pillows
- Throws and blankets
Procedure Steps for a Breast Augmentation With A Lift
A breast augmentation with a lift can take anywhere from 1 ½ to 2 ½ hours. Patients receive anesthesia during this procedure: For this reason, patients are not permitted to drive themselves home. Therefore, a driver must arrive with them on the day of their surgery. In addition, Dr. Gershenbaum recommends that his patients ask someone that they trust to stay with them for at least the night of their procedure.
Patients receive medications so that they remain asleep during their procedure. Medications commonly used during a breast augmentation with a lift are general anesthesia and intravenous (IV) sedation. These medications are administered by an anesthesiologist.
2. The Incisions are Created
The incisions that will be used to lift the breast and place the implant are created.
3. Implant Placement, Trimming Excess Skin and Applying the Layered Sutures
Once Dr. G places the implants, trims away excess skin and is satisfied with the final result, he provides additional support to the breast by using a layered suture technique.
4. Outer Incisions are Closed
Dr. Gershenbaum closes the incisions using sutures that are placed predominantly beneath the surface of the skin. This technique optimizes the chance of extremely fine, less noticeable scars.
5. Bandages and Support Bra
Immediately following the surgery, patients are gently bandaged and a support bra is placed.
Directly following their procedure, patients remain in the recovery area until Dr. G releases them to their driver. Each patient receives instructions pertaining to caring for their incisions, restrictions to follow as they heal and directions related to their medications.
Recovering from an Augmentation With A Lift
Patients should expect to have some inflammation and discoloration directly after their augmentation with a lift; however, these symptoms usually disappear rather quickly. The majority of the inflammation will dissipate within a few weeks.
A couple of days following an augmentation with a lift in Miami, patients can begin moving about. The surgical dressings and support bra are usually removed within a few days after the procedure. The majority of patients are permitted to shower within seven days of their surgery.
Every woman is unique, therefore, so is her recovery. Dr. Gershenbaum recommends that his patients in Miami listen to their bodies and avoid pushing themselves, as this could lead to complications.
Dr. Gershenbaum is dedicated to providing each of his patients the personalized, attentive care that they deserve. As an award-winning, world-renowned, board certified plastic and reconstructive surgeon, it is no wonder that Dr. Sam Gershenbaum ranks as a top plastic surgeon in Miami. If you reside in or around Miami and you are interested in an augmentation with a lift, please contact Dr. G Cosmetic Surgery today.